Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: MRII 594 A horn

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How often do these come up? If ever?

    Are they rare and therefore commend a crazy price?


    pdf of horn off of altec pro site


    Thanks,


    -chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just received a pair of these coupled to 288-8l drivers at what I took to be a fairly good BIN price.

    One of the horns got corner chips knocked off in transit, as well as the throat broke under the weight of the driver coupled with some torque...or something.

    Anyway I can repair this if I know of a good glue to use. Anyone have a suggestion?

    I see that with the 515-8G and 828 cab as well as N1285 xover I can create an A5B from 1993, though I might use the N1201 xover instead.

    -Jon

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Depends on what yours are made of Jon. Some are plain fiberglass, on which you'd use fiberglass resin. Others are GE Noryll (plastic), on which some Loctite Plastix (use the primer first) should do the trick. Most likely yours are 'glass (with a flat throat), as the plastics seldom break.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks bfish-
    What do you mean "flat throat"? Mine is like the one in the pdf cited in the thread-throat looks like a pint paint can, or stubby salami. Would that tell me the material?
    -Jon

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're welcome Jon. Yeah, if yours is like the PDF unit, it's Noryl. The 'glass ones have the same tapered, rectangular throat common to the rest of the MR line.

    If your break is just cosmetic and doesn't need to be super-strong, some regular PVC primer (clear, not purple) and cement would work too. For plastic, the primer is as important as the cement.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They've been coming up fairly often lately, I've seen several of them in the past few months.

    I had 4 of them that I sold with My old PA system, with the arrangements that if he ever parts them out, I get the chance to buy them back.

    They are quite strong, though I had a corner break off once out of stupidity. I just left it and drilled a hole beside the chipped corner. It's purely cosmetic anyway on the flange as far as I know.

    One that I got shipped in had the entire throat broken off, but it was broken on a seam, so I used some 3m black max adhesive and it's held fine every since. This would only work for the noryl type ones that have the large round throat, the fiberglass ones were prone to breaking right a the flange I believe, and were pretty hard to make an adequate patch job. If I got a set, I would be tempted to take them to a body shop and have the throat built up on the outside with more fiberglass to strengthen it more. I have several MRII564's that if I ever decide to put them to use, I'll do that to them first probably.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.